I am a Bristol-based performer, teacher and gerontologist. I’ve grown up and grown older witnessing ‘new waves’, or radical innovation, particularly in film and music. I’d like to apply this spirit to the way we realise ageing via the performing arts, for now and the future.
Image; Ka-rel Headley
So this is a call-out to individuals and organizations working in our sector to consider:-
· How we explore and perform cultural diversity in later life.
· How we challenge traditional stereotypes and the ageism they generate in society. A current concern for Public Health and Equalities organizations.
· How we might accommodate marginal or countercultural expressions of autonomy in later life.
· How you’d imagine your own future might unfold, accounting for rapid social and technological change.
I am keen to make contact with theatre makers, whether you are an actor, dancer, writer or director and any other interested groups and individuals to:-
· Establish the community and funding resources required to develop new or existing work that captures the cultural diversity of later life in today’s society.
· Identify the kind of expertise we need, from the arts and humanities, the social sciences, experts by experience and the community at large, to better understand the political and cultural conditions and constraints that impact on later life.
I’d like to organize some informal meet-ups and work-in-progress events soonest. I can be contacted on: email@example.com